Discus fish, the native fauna species of Amazon River basin is the most preferred fish for those who have a hobby of fish keeping. The prime reasons are that the fish is available in various beautiful unique colors, there are multiple kinds of fish species and it is freshwater fish thus aquarium friendly.
However, like any delicate pets you need to take care of fish in your home aquarium carefully. The importance should be given while searching for Discus fish for sale in online markets as well as in local pet shops. Buying from only reliable sources will be beneficial as substandard fish pet shops will sell you inferior quality fish.
Discus fish need extra special care as their colors, shape and activity change in accordance to the environment of the water tank they live in. To keep them healthy and to enhance their life span you need to take proper care of them.
Here are few guidelines to help take right care of your Discus fish:
- You need to keep your tank always clean, as they can’t live in unhealthy filthy water for long hours. Don’t clean the tank with chemicals-based washing agents. Just wipe the glass clean thoroughly with fine brush, keep them to dry under direct Sun rays before filling with water. You can use filter to keep the tank clean and safe from impurities floating in the water.
- Never introduce new fish directly in your main aquarium tank. It will be helpful to keep them separately in a small tank for a few days before shifting them to the main tank. This gesture will help in Discus fish to remain safe from acquiring any bacterial infection brought in by the other new fish. You need to check the pH level between 6 and 7 in the tank before letting the fish in.
- You need to maintain the temperature of the fish tank as Discus fish belong to the tropical region. The water temperature should be around 80 F to 86F. It will be helpful to use heater in the tank in cold season.
- You need to take special attention to provide food loved by Discus Fish. They like to have live foods as well. You can provide blood worms and even brine shrimp. However, buy food from online pet shops selling special food for Discus fish. You need to maintain their feeding time and if they aren’t inclined to eat then something is wrong with them. Make sure not to over feed them.
- Keep your tank in bright light and in a corner place in the room. The bright lights won’t let the shadow falling and corner space of the room will be safe for them from the brisk movement made by the family members. Discus fish tend to get frightened by shadows and jerks.
Don’t let them in community tank where there are large size fish as it might scare them and stop taking food. You can buy Discus fish online where the seller is ready to give you free useful advice and also read reviews of the clients that will help you know the right awesome looking Discus fish to purchase.
Author Bio – Discus Guy has over 30 years experience raising and breeding quality discus fish.